6 small businesses you can start at home during this pandemic
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, many businesses have been forced to shut down and many business owners understandably have questions and immediate concerns, but many are already starting to look for the hidden opportunities within this crisis. Based on this, here are some of the ideas we have come up with thus far in the wake of COVID-19 in the hopes that it will help spark some ideas for your own businesses.
- Freelance Writing; This is perhaps the cheapest business to start in terms of overhead. If you’re reading this on a computer, you’ve got what you need to become a freelance writer—at least in terms of equipment. Expertise is another matter, but remember that writing can take many forms—from resumes to news articles to marketing materials and even thank-you notes. Get to writing!
- Social-Media Specialist; Everybody’s on social media, especially with this pandemic that has forced everything to shut down. Every organization that sells anything needs a presence on social media, so the market for experts is huge. However, there is also no shortage of social-media experts—or people who think they’re experts. Educate yourself and with proper positioning, you can launch a social media specialist career.
- Graphic Design; Everyday new businesses are starting and this businesses will need a website. Sure, there are a lot of graphic designers out there, but there are far more Websites, companies and organizations in need of design work than there are designers.
- Personal Computer Trainer; Believe it or not, a lot of people still don’t know how to use Microsoft Office (especially PowerPoint) and what better time to learn than right now when the have a lot of time on their hands? You might already know enough about basic software applications to teach other people how to use them and set up your own computer-training operation
- Research/Fact Checking; Not everything is just a Google search away. Media organizations hire fact checkers to make sure that items in stories are accurate and that sources quoted really exist. Other organizations need people to find statistics and other data for presentations and reports. There are plenty of opportunities online to get started researching at home. Just be prepared to get into some really esoteric topics that will take you way beyond Wikipedia.
- Podcasting; The key to successful Podcasting isn’t just racking up listeners in big numbers. It’s getting listeners to engage. A small group of engaged listeners is more valuable than a large but passive audience. Specialize in an area of your expertise and constantly remind listeners to participate in your Podcast via social media or your Website. Making money Podcasting isn’t easy, but it is possible.
Which small business will you be starting during this lockdown? Let us know in the comments section.